life update

Hey ladies! It's about to get real personal today on Sweet Tea Archives. It's time to share a life update with you guys! Grab some snacks or some coffee, this might be a long read!

On February 2nd, I was at the mall with a good friend of mine. We were talking about the typical girl-talk stuff; our boyfriends, makeup, and of course, periods. I just happened to mention that I hadn't had one since November of 2018. She immediately says, "Oh my gosh, Caitlyn!!! You need to go see a gynecologist as soon as possible, you could have PCOS or something!!" So I won't lie it made me nervous, since I had been having trouble with irregularity for about 2 years now. I got home that day and talked to my mom, who suggested I see my primary care physician first. That night, I had a bad panic attack. I used to suffer from those in high school, but hadn't had one in a long time. I was on the phone with my boyfriend Dylan, and he was telling me to breathe, and not to freak out; that everything was going to be okay. (He is the best, ever).

Fast forward to the day of my appointment, I was nervous. PCOS had always been a worst nightmare kinda thing for me, so I wasn't very excited about being at the doctor for my irregular cycle. I talked with my doctor, whom I greatly recommend (Dr. Erin Marcotsis at Barnett Family Practice), and she recommended doing blood work to test my A1C and my thyroid. Both of those came back normal, so she referred me to gynecology. I couldn't get an appointment with the gynecologist until March 5th, and it was February 6th. I was so upset that I had to wait a month because I was already very nervous and frustrated. Those 4 weeks were long, tiring, and so overwhelming. I already have anxiety, so of course I worried to death about it. I had to learn to pray and trust God about it.

I remember telling a friend one day, "No matter what happens, I'm just gonna give it to God. It's not under my control, and whatever happens I will praise Him anyway." It wasn't easy to make that statement because I wanted to control it. I wanted to scream and make it go away. I learned to trust God. He had to come to me in the middle of the night and calm me when I would wake up and cry because I was so afraid of what the gynecologist would say. Thoughts like, "I'm gonna have cysts and have to be put to sleep and have major surgery to have them removed.. and then I'm gonna have a scar to worry about and stitches to watch..." I was in agony, I will confess. But one day I saw a quote, "If you're hanging on by a thread, make sure it's the hem of His garment." I remember just thinking, "That's me, right now. I am choosing to trust. Even when I do not understand.

Tuesday, March 5th, I go to see the gynecologist. I explained my situation, and even handed her a printed copy of the list of all my periods since 2017. She asked me a few questions, and then looked at me straight in the eyes, and said, "You meet the criteria. You have PCOS." I didn't show any emotion, I just kinda sank in my chair, and with a furrowed brow I listened as she explained the risks that PCOS poses to my health, and what I need to do to treat it.

The following 4 days were a time of questions, frustration, and more questions. PCOS puts me at a high risk of heart disease, diabetes, and infertility. Now if you know me at all, you know that I have always wanted to have children in my future. Basically I kept thinking it like this, "My worst nightmare has just come true." I had to trust in God and lean on Him to help me understand my next step. I read that if I lost even just 10-15 lbs, it could increase my chance of having a normal cycle, meaning that I'd have more chances to get pregnant (which of course, I'm not trying to do right now, but in the future), basically I'm taking care of this and myself now, so I have better health in my future when it comes time to have children. I sought advice from my sister, Candi, and her good friend about what I should do. They have helped me tremendously and I am so thankful. Her friend told me 4 things I need to fight: weight, blood sugar, inflammation, and my hormones. She told me about Plexus and oils she uses from Young Living as well. I have been taking her messages and turning them into guidelines for myself!

Since then, I have cut out all greasy, fried foods, sugary drinks, unhealthy snacks and desserts. I do the Plexus Tri-Plex everyday, and I also eat a tablespoon of chia seeds once a day. I only drink water and coffee, which I believe has been a part of the major change that I have experienced. I cannot say enough about Plexus. I was a little skeptical at first, but it seriously works!!!! For example: at the gynecologist last week I weighed 171 pounds, and today I weighed 163.4 lbs.!!!!! Down 8 pounds, and 8 is the Biblical number of 'new beginnings.' I am so so excited that my body is responding to the new changes I have made. I am so thankful that God has been so faithful and He has not left my side. He continues to prove that He is the Almighty and the Great Physician!!! He deserves all the credit for my success. Being diagnosed with PCOS hasn't been easy, but it has taught me to rely on God for everything. He is always faithful. When trusting God is the only option left, choose it. You'll never regret it.


For more information on PCOS, visit this link here.

Comments

Popular Posts